This lecture series is an initiative of the Ghent Centre for Buddhist Studies (GCBS) in collaboration with the Department of Languages and Cultures at Ghent University. It aims to offer an international forum for scholars and students interested and / or engaged in the field of Buddhist Studies.
Coördinator: Ann Heirman
- 8 lectures
- on Thursday evenings
- from 7 PM until 9 PM
- in Ghent / online
- €5 (on campus) / free (online or if you are a member of the Ghent Centre for Buddhist Studies)
Thursday 10 March 2022
- Constructing the Divine Abode of Dizang Bodhisattva: Mt. Jiuhua in Late Imperial China
- by Nan Ouyang (Ghent)
Thursday 17 March 2022
- Our Dogen: His Birth, Lives, and Afterlives
- by William Bodiford (UCLA)
Thursday 24 March 2022
- The Dharma of Japanese Sumo: Religion, Tradition, and the Female Taboo
- by Lindsey DeWitt Prat (Ghent)
Thursday 31 March 2022
- What is Buddhist about Law? A View From Early Modern Tibet
- by Berthe Jansen (Leipzig & Leiden)
Thursday 21 April 2022
Thursday 28 April 2022
- Did the Buddha Teach Consent?: Buddhist Ethics After Sexual Abuse in Contemporary North American Communities
- by Amy Langenberg (Eckerd College) & Ann Gleig (University of Central Florida)
Thursday 5 May 2022
- Three Paths, Two Buddhas and One Vehicle: Disentangling Indian Buddhist Literature
- by Naomi Appleton (Edinburgh) & Chris Jones (Cambridge)
- This lecture will start at 6:30 pm !!
Thursday 12 May 2022
- Did Early Chinese Buddhists Understand their Scriptures? - What the Earliest Chinese Buddhist Commentaries Show Us
- by Eric Greene (Yale University)
- This lecture can be followed online only !!
How to register?
- Click on the "toevoegen aan mijn winkelmandje" button in the blue box below, next to the lecture(s) you wish to attend (there are 2 options each time: live in Ghent ("ter plaatse") or online).
- Click on the shopping cart icon in the upper right corner of this page.
- Click "view cart" to proceed to checkout.
- Click on the "Afrekenen" button.
- You will receive a confirmation email (with / without payment request).
If you are a member of the Ghent Centre for Buddhist Studies, during checkout
- select the "I am eligible for a discount" checkbox.
- In the dropdown menu next to "uitzonderingsprijs", select "I am member of the Ghent Centre for Buddhist Studies".
Where to find the link to the livestream?
- Go to https://humanitiesacademie.ugent.be/
- In the upper right corner, click on "Mijn profiel" (My profile).
- Click on "Inloggen" (Log in)
- Login with the same credentials you used while registering for this lecture series.
- Repeat step 2.
- Click on Dashboard.
- You will get on overview of all activities you have registered for.
- In the column "Video" click on "Bekijk live video" (Watch live video).
- You will automatically be redirected to the livestream.
Where to find the recordings?
All of the recordings will be added to our Youtube playlist.